About The Buzz: Canned Peaches Are Nutritionally Comparable To Fresh?
By Fruits & Veggies - More Matters
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
The science is in: The nutritional value of canned peaches is on par with that of fresh peaches.
HOW DO WE KNOW THIS?
Research conducted by Oregon State University confirms that the nutritional value of canned peaches is on par with that of fresh peaches. In a multi-year study, researchers compared the nutrients in fresh freestone peaches and fresh cling peaches with those found in canned cling peaches. Their findings show that:
- Fresh and canned peaches had comparable levels of vitamin E
- Vitamin C levels were found to be almost 4x higher in canned than fresh
- Folate levels were found to be 10x higher in canned than fresh
- Antioxidants were found to be 1.5x higher in canned than fresh
These results mean that consumers can enjoy the benefits of eating peaches year round without worrying about the loss of any nutrients.*
When shopping, don’t forget that all forms of fruits and vegetables matter! Look in the canned food aisle for fruit products like California cling peaches. Picked and packed at the peak of freshness, this canned fruit provides consumers with nutritious choices, convenience, and expanded availability throughout the year.
3 Convenient Ways to Add Canned Peaches to Everyday Meals & Snacks
- Better your breakfast. Add a serving of fruit by making Perfectly Peachy Waffles. Use canned peaches as a topping for pancakes, or add them to cottage cheese for a nutritious fruit-and-protein combo to start to your day.
- Add fruit to entrées. Check out this recipe > Chicken, California Cling Peaches & Rice Skillet Supper
- Enjoy a nutritious dessert! When it’s hot outside, cook up an inexpensive, nutritious dessert. Grill canned peaches and top with a small dollop of whipped cream.