from Tracey Mallett
I love whey protein because it’s quickly absorbed by the body and gives you antioxidant protection. You can easily add it to your diet by mixing whey protein powder into smoothies, cereal, juice, or water. It is instant high-quality protein that you don’t have to cook—that’s my kind of food. Plus, whey protein tastes good. Just be careful when choosing your whey powder. Read the label to make sure that it has virtually no fat, contains whey protein isolates (which are absorbed faster than other forms), and is microfiltered, a method that keeps the proteins intact.
Because whey is digested quickly, it allows the amino acids to repair the muscles that are building lean muscle mass. Try a whey protein smoothie after you exercise in the morning, and you may notice less post-workout soreness. In my opinion, whey protein is an integral part of your weight loss system.
If you're one of the many women who just can't find the time to sit down and eat breakfast. The smoothie is your answer, it takes minutes with the perfect blend of protein, fiber and good fat to rev up your metabolism first thing in the morning.
Below is one of my favorite smoothie's. It tastes so good my kids think it's dessert. Imagine how many Mommy brownie points I get for this and it's good for them!!
BERRY PROTEIN SMOOTHIE
Serving size: One
- 1 cup frozen blueberries or strawberries (berries are powerhouse sources of antioxidants)
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice (pomegranates may slow aging and fight heart disease)
- 1/2 cup of light soy milk
- 1 scoop (15 grams) whey powder (a great source of protein)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (helps regulate blood sugar levels)
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground flaxseeds (an excellent source of omega-3 and fiber that helps to suppress hunger)
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on high for one minute.