Top 10 Ways to Enjoy Red Currants
- Wash & Enjoy! Red currants are great as is, just wash and enjoy this pop-able snack!
- Frozen Treat. Great for a snack or as a replacement to ice cubes at your next gathering! Just wash and place in the freezer for a couple hours!
- Currant Salsa. Make a sweet salsa with diced currants, mangos, pineapples, cilantro, garlic, red peppers, and chilies, drizzled with olive oil and a splash of lime juice. Serve with warmed pita and enjoy! Recipe Spicy Mango Currant Salsa
- Currants & Oats. Add frozen or fresh currants to hot rolled oats and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar for a sweet morning treat that’s full of fiber and antioxidants! See Recipe
- Fruity Shake. Currants offer a tart flavor that goes perfectly in any smoothie or milkshake. Combine low-fat milk, low-fat yogurt or ice cream, and blend with frozen currants and other frozen fruits.
- Fruit Salad. Red currants pair well with almonds, raspberries, black currants, and cherries. Wash and toss this fruit and nut mixture over low-fat vanilla yogurt or enjoy the fruit salad alone as a side dish, afternoon snack, or late night dessert!
- Currant Sauce. Create an elegant dish by braising pork and topping with a specialty currant sauce: puree 1 cup red currants, 3 teaspoons honey Dijon mustard, and 3 teaspoons red wine vinegar; simmer on low heat until heated through.
- Swap Your Dates. Have a favorite recipe that calls for dates or raisins? Substitute with red currants instead! Try them in our Fruity Tuna Salad Wraps.
- Perfect Parfait. Layer low-fat granola, low-fat vanilla yogurt, currants and other favorite fruits for a quick breakfast or dessert. Try them in our Tropical Fruit Parfait.
- Homemade Currant Dressing. Puree a handful of currants with olive oil, cilantro or mint, and salt and pepper to taste. Top over spinach leaves, dried cranberries, toasted almonds, and blue cheese crumbles.
Click HERE for more info on Red Currants, including storage and selection tips.